As I walked into the Watson Institute this morning to begin another day of paid Brown clinging, I thought to myself I wish you (me) had spent more time with those kids who came to Providence this weekend to cling. You’re all cute; we have so much in common; and only one of you has ever smelled bad and, to my knowledge, him only once (readers can enumerate other times in comments section). But then it occurred to me that I shouldn’t beat myself up about not driving over to 401 to watch you watch the Oscars because I know you will be back in a big way! We (the ones who cling so hard we are never not clinging) don't know what is exactly that keeps drawing you back to us like small children to the strange noise of their grandparents' garbage disposal. Perhaps it’s our kindly disposition and overall outlook on life. Perhaps it’s the feeling that in THIS city we all live in one house (and its yellow with the greatest brick stoop this side of Hey Arnold). Perhaps it’s a story we wrote once a long time ago whose success we will be forever unable to replicate. Perhaps its this guy and the small-town journalism-as-it-used-to-be-paper that would have the courage to put a video of him on the very front of their website. For whatever the reason, you will continue to return, and we will continue to have potlucks to celebrate your presence. So carry on being just the tiniest bit dissatisfied with your big city lives, and we (I?) will continue to wait here with a loaf of bread I didn’t bake, ready….ready…
We couldn't forget Brown. And for one weekend, Brown will find itself obligated to remember us.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Notes from a Super Clinger:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog post should be engraved on the side of the Lit Arts building. To hell with shabby old Gertrude Stein.
ReplyDelete